Buses is by far the most popular kind of public transportation in Croatia, which is no wonder, as busy prices are relatively cheap and coverage is high. The buses are not only used for people but often also for sending packages across the country.
All major cities in Croatia, like Pula, Rijeka, Zagreb, Zadar and Split has international routes to several European destinations like, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the neighbouring countries.
After the main part of the Croatian Motorway has been finish, bus has also become a relative fast way of traveling, a bus trip from Split to Zagreb can now be done in 5 hours, which is about 1 hour more then you would need by car.
Here are a few prices examples for national bus routes, PLEASE NOTE that prices can very a bit depending on which bus company you go with.
|Approximate bus prices (One way tickets)|
|From||To||Price||Distance km*||Price / Km|
|Zagreb||Split||100 kn||App 400||0.25 kn|
|Zagreb||Rijeka||50 kn||172||0.30 kn|
|Zagreb||Rovinj||140 kn||App 280||0.50 kn|
|Zagreb||Zadar||100 kn||250||0.40 kn|
|Split||Dubrovnik||110 kn||220||0.50 kn|
|Split||Trogir||20 kn||30||0.67 kn|
The distance in the table is the shortest driving distance between the cities mentioned, the bus might go by route which would make the actual travel distance longer.
As you can see from table the price per km is around 25-70 lipa, so for easy calculation of your fair price, you just have to multiply distance of your trip with 70 Lipa, then you roughly know what you have to pay for your trip.
Some companies offer a discount if you buy return trip.
Reservation of ticket for domestic routes is still not common, at most bus stations you can call a premium rate number an reserve tickets, usually one day before departure. Some of the larger bus companies has local offices in tourist towns where you can by tickets, if you wish to make sure to catch a certain departure, you should show up at the bus station about an hour before the departure. Meanwhile Online booking is quite common you can both by tickets for international routes and national long distance routes online , below you can see a list of websites selling bus tickets.
IMPORTANT: If you buy a ticket from Bus Company X on e.g. the route Zagreb to Split, ticket is only valid travelling with that specific company, so you will need to look closely on the schedule and pick exactly the bus you plan to travel with.
List of Bus companies in Croatia with online booking
The only site where you find all bus companies in one place is on this link.
Alternative you can visit the ticket shops of the following bus companies.
- AP Imotski / Autoherc – domestic routes from Dubrovnik – Split, Split – Plitvice – Zagreb, as well as lines to and from Germany, ticket shop you can visit here
- Clissa bus – smaller carrier operating domestic lines between Zagreb and Split – ticket shop you can visit here.
- AP Varazdin – domestic routes between, Zagreb – Plitvice – Split, Zagreb – Zadar and others – ticket shop you can visit here:
- Autotransport Šibenik: – domestic routes between Šibenik – Zadar, Šibenik – Split and others – ticket shop you can visit here:
- Prijevoz Knezević: Domestic routes from Zadar, Zagreb, Split to National park Plitvice and Krka – ticket shop you can visit here:
- Antonio Tours Pag: Domestic bus routes to Novalja, from Split and Zadar – ticket shop you can visit here
- Čazmatrans Dalmacija: Domestic routes from Zadar – Split, Zadar – Zagreb and other – ticket shop you can visit here:
- Slavonija Bus: Domestic routes to island Murter and Vir – ticket shop you can visit here:
- Promet Makarska – Domestic routes Split – Dubrovnik, Dubrovnik – Zagreb and internal line to Germany – ticket shop you can visit here
Major bus stations in Croatia
Here you find further information about buses and timetables from the major cities