If you bring your laptop in Croatia, you can use hot spots or Internet cafes to access the Internet, but you can also get an Internet USB stick. Here are a few guidelines of how it works in Croatia, where you can buy Internet starter packs and what the prices are.
NOTE IMPORTANT: if you wish to you your mobile phone with a foreign SIM card to surf on the internet, please read the following before doing so – Cost in Croatia
Operator 1 – VIP
Vipme Internet USB stick can be bought at a price of 149 Kuna with the same amount of money included in it. This amount is divided in the following way: 20 Kuna included on your account, 19 Kuna after the first transmission of data, 15 Kuna x 6 months but only if you refill your mobile surf stick with an amount of 50 Kuna each month, and 20 Kuna for the registration of your personal data. If you already have a stick, you have an option to buy only a SIM card for 20 Kuna with 20 Kuna included. These packs can be bought at VIP centres, VIP partners and via VIP web shop.
You can refill your surf stick in the following way: by buying a Vipme voucher which contains a 14-digit number to be registered via an SMS to the number 778 or on their webpage. VIPme vouchers can be bought at markets and supermarkets, ATM machines and VIP centres. you can refill your stick with the following vouchers:
- 30 Kuna, valid 8 days
- 35 Kuna, 10days
- 50 Kuna, 75 days
- 100 Kuna, 150 days
- 150 Kuna, 180 days
- 200 Kuna, 225 days
- 400 Kuna, 300 days
The initial amount you get on your stick is valid 180 days.
A basic price of 1kuna per 1 MB is used, but you can activate other options or tariffs:
- 50 MB/25 kn
- 300 MB/ 91kn
- 1 GB/ 191 kn
Each of the options is valid 30 days. These options are activated by sending an SMS containing “50”, “300” or “1GB” to number 799 from your internet SIM card, (you might receive SMS back with further instructions to complete the activation).
Operator 2 – T-Mobile
A T-Mobile Internet starter pack costs 198 Kuna with 500 MB included if you register your data at any T-Mobile center. If you already have an USB stick, you can buy a SIM card at a price of 20 Kuna with 20 included on your account. The starter packs can be bought at T-Mobile centres.
T-Mobile has 5 Internet options included in its offer:
- S (30 MB for 10 Kuna per month)
- M (150 MB for 20 Kuna per month)
- L (500 MB for 50 Kuna per month)
- XL (1 GB for 75 Kuna per month)
- Option “Dan” (10 Kuna per day/flat rate/ valid until 23.59 hours from the moment of activation)
These options are activated by sending an SMS containing “A” to number 3636*, by calling customer service or on the portal “Moj T-Mobile.” The options are valid 30 days. The stick can be refilled by buying a T-Mobile voucher (50 or 100 Kuna) which can be found in every market, supermarket or a kiosk, or buy buying an e-voucher (25, 50, 100 and 200 Kuna). The vouchers of 50/100 Kuna include 50/100 MB and are valid 90/180 days. The e-vouchers of 25/50/100/200 Kuna include 25/50/100/200 Mb and are valid 10/90/180/180 days. So a basic price of 1 Kuna per MB is used, unless one of the above mentioned options is activated.
Example how to activate the option „Dan“ 10 kuna day tariff.
- Send SMS to 3636 containing letter “A”
- You will receive SMS back from T-mobile with tariff options.
- Reply with SMS containing number “7” to activate “Dan” options
- You will receive another SMS from T-mobile asking you to confirm
- Reply on this SMS wit “Da”
Operator 3 – TELE 2
Tele 2 mobile internet (Starter pack) can be bought in Tele 2 centres, Super and Maxi Konzum markets, Tisak, Tisak media, iNovine and Slobodna Dalmacija stores as well as in stores with computer equipment.
Tele 2 mobile internet Starter pack costs 195 kn with 100 Kuna included on the account. This amount is divided in the following way: you get 20 Kuna immediately, and the next 8 months you get 10 Kuna per month but with an obligatory refill of 50 kuna each month.
When you buy a Starter pack a basic tariff will be activated which includes a price of 1kn per MB. If you refill your surf stick with 50/100 kn they will activate a tariff with a price of 0,50/0,25 kn per MB. This tariff is valid 30 days from the day of activation. After 30 days, you return to the basic tariff unless you refill your surf stick.
There is also another tariff which can be activated by sending an SMS containing PET to number 880. The activation costs 5 Kuna. In order to activate this tariff you must refill your surf stick with a minimum amount of 200 Kuna. Characteristics of this tariff are:
- a basic price of 1kn per MB
- if you refill it with a voucher of 25-49 Kuna, you activate a lower price of the transmission of data, that is, 0,10 kn per MB which is valid 24 hours
- if you refill it with a voucher of 50-99 Kuna, you activate a lower price of the transmission of data, that is, 0,10 kn per MB which is valid 7 days
- if you refill it with a voucher of 100-199 Kuna, you activate a lower price of the transmission of data, that is, 0,10 kn per MB which is valid 30 days
- if you refill it with a voucher of 200 Kuna or more, you activate a lower price of the transmission of data, that is, 0,05 kn per MB which is valid 30days
How to refill your Tele2 Mobile surf stick?
- by using Tele 2 Connect or Tele 2 Mobile Partner applications which allow you to enter a 13-digit number from your Tele 2 voucher
- by paying/refilling directly at Tele 2 web shop
- in Tele 2 centres
If you already have a surf stick, there is an option to buy only a SIM card which costs 20 Kuna with 20 Kuna included in it.
Document last updated: June 2011